How to make Pizza at Home
Planning homemade Pizza is not too difficult as it looks. It is as just selection of toppings and managing orders. The taste of pizza ultimately depends on the quality of its crust. You can choose either readymade base or knead pizza base at home.
Ingredients for Pizza:
For Pizza Base –
- Plain flour – 2 1/2 cups (maida)
- Olive oil – 1 1/2 tbsps
- Honey – 1 tsp (or 1/2 tsp sugar)
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Instant dry yeast – 2 tsps
- Italian seasoning – 1/2 tbsp OR any dried herbs of your choice like oregano, rosemary or basil (optional)
- Water – 1 cup, luke warm
- Cornmeal or Semolina – few tbsps
For Pizza Sauce –
- Onion – 1, medium, finely chopped
- Garlic – 3 cloves, finely minced
- Tomatoes – 2, ripe and large, finely chopped
- Tomato puree – 2 tbsps
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes – large pinch
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Dried oregano – 1/2 tsp
- Dried basil – 1/4 tsp or fresh basil – few leaves
- Salt to taste
- Bell peppers – 1, large, finely sliced
- Fresh basil leaves – few (optional)
- Mozarella cheese – 1 cup, grated
- Toppings of your choice (sliced tomatoes, grilled paneer , olives etc.)
- Parmesan cheese – 4 tbsps (optional)
Pizza Dough –
For pizza dough add yeast, salt & sugar in flour until yeast activates. Then add oil and knead the dough. Take the dough out of the bowl and put in on clean surface. We can sprinkle additional flour, if it is moist or sticky. Keep on pressing the dough with your hands firmly by pushing forward slightly to make it smoother.
How to make Pizza –
- Next step includes setting up your oven. For better crisp crust effect, preheat the oven at 220 C for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions onto a lightly floured surface. Cover the same with plastic wrap and kept aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Grease the back of cookie sheet or you can use pizza stone (for base) with oil and sprinkle cornmeal or semolina to make ease removal of the pizza from the sheet without sticking.
- Place a ball of dough on the sheet and spread it out into flat using hands. Try to flattening the base as thin as possible and ensure the evenly spread of the base.
- Brush the pizza base with olive oil and spread 2 tablespoon of pizza sauce evenly.
- Grate the mozzarella cheese and add toppings of your choice like caramelized onions, chicken, sliced tomatoes, onion, grilled paneer, fresh basil leaves and any other topping of your choice.
- Slide the pizza base into oven and bake for at least12-15 minutes until the pizza base turns golden brown. Before slicing allow the pizza to rest for 2-3 minutes.
We can make pizza sauce at home in just few easy steps. Take olive oil in a pan and heat on low flame. Add minced garlic, dried oregano, dried basil and mix. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, sauté for 2 minutes and simmer the mixture for next 20 minutes. Add tomato puree, red chilli flakes, salt and pepper powder and mix. Cook until consistency turns like sauce. Turn off the flame and cool. For more smoothie effect, we can blend the puree to use the sauce in right way. For more tempting effect, we can add fresh oregano & herbs.
- Pizza stone can replace cookie sheet.
- Minced garlic can be mixed as per taste to the dough during kneading
- The dough can be rested in zip lock bag or air tight container in refrigerator upto 5-6 hours
- For more crispy effect pizza recommended to bake at the lowest rack that is closest to the heating
If you liked the pizza recipe then share the post. If you have any suggestions, then please write those in the comment box.