Building Refurbishment: What you need to Know
Buildings stand under the open sky and bear the brunt of nature directly. Whether it is rain, snow, wind, extreme chill or extremely hot weather conditions – the building has to endure all. And don’t think that these do not have any effect on the structure. Without proper care and maintenance, various kinds of problems might start taking place in the building from leaked rooftops to broken pipes, from cracks on buildings to color fading. If the problem is a minor one, it can be repaired easily. But if problems keep on arising one after the other, it is recommended to go for building refurbishment. Refurbishing not only helps in solving the various problems in the building; it also helps in increasing property valuation considerably. Making proper investment in a refurbishment work will bring results on the long run.
If you are planning refurbishment of a property, here are few things to consider:
- Check whether permissions and approvals are needed – You cannot carry out the refurbishment job as and when you want. There is a proper procedure, which needs to be followed and permissions and approvals also need to be taken. If you are planning to make small renovations and changes, you might require building regulations approval. But if you are thinking of an extension or some addition to the property, you will need planning permission. For getting the permission, it has to be forwarded by an architect or a surveyor. Other regulations apply when you are a leaseholder or have a property in a conservation area.
- Finding the right contractor for the refurbishment work – If you are sure that getting permission for the refurbishment work will not be a problem, it is time that you start looking for the right contractor who will do this job. Seek personal recommendations from family and friends. If you fail to find any, look up on the internet and search with the location. You are sure to get innumerable contacts of refurbishment contractors and builders. Pick up few from the list, which seem most suitable for your requirements. Talk to them directly and explain your requirements.
- Get quotations from various contractors – It is always recommended to seek quotations from various contractors to have an idea of the price that is being charged for the work. Ask the contractor to visit the site and then make a quotation. Compare the quotes and understand which one is the best. Only less money should not be the concern – the quality of the work also matters.
- Insurance is an added advantage for sure – Check if the refurbishment contractor has proper insurance. Two kinds of preferred insurances in this regard are employers’ liability insurance in case the contractors operate through a company and public liability insurance. Do not settle for contractors who hesitate in showing their insurance papers (they might not have it at all!)
- Begin the refurbishment work with a written contract – Certain things should always be done on paper. After finalizing everything, get a contract done and both you and the contractor sign on the dotted lines. In case there is any problem or dispute in future, both of you have documents in hand for documentary support and evidence.
Follow these steps and see how hassle free is the entire process of building refurbishment when a proper contractor handles it.